Are you looking to slow down the signs of aging? We’ve got you covered. There are five wrinkle relaxers currently on the market (Botox, Dysport, Xeomin, Jeuveau, and Daxify). For the rest of this blog post, we will use the household name “Botox” but just know we are talking about wrinkle relaxers as a whole.
Botox is an amazing option to treat & prevent fine lines, wrinkles, and deep facial furrows. Botox is most famously known for treating wrinkles of the upper face that include horizontal forehead lines, frown lines between the eyebrows, and the crow’s feet (lines around the eyes).
Experienced aesthetic injectors use wrinkle relaxers for many off-label uses as well including neckbands, chin dimples, Hyperhidrosis (excessive sweating), jawline slimming, TMJ relief, jaw clenching, and teeth grinding.
We know that the word "toxin" sounds a little intimidating but wrinkle relaxers are purified proteins injected into a muscle to decrease that muscle’s movement. Usually, a nerve tells a muscle to contract. Botox dampens the communication between nerves and muscles so the muscle cannot contract as hard. Botox has been clinically studied and is the most widely studied drug in the world!
Whether you're in your twenties and looking to prevent the signs of aging, or you're discovering the magic of Botox later in life, it can help you achieve a natural glow while turning back the hands of time.
How Much Does Botox Cost?Botox costs $13/unit ($11.50/unit for our Beauty Squad Members). While there are a wide variety of areas that can be treated with Botox, our patients typically receive 42-70 units. Age, area being treated, strength of muscle, and genetics all play a role in how many units you need. Customized dosing will be based on your provider’s recommendation and will be discussed in depth at your appointment.
When Will I See the Results?Botox starts kicking in within 24-48 hours but it takes two weeks to see the full results. Two weeks after your first wrinkle relaxer treatment, we see you back for a follow-up to see how that customized treatment worked using that specific amount. If we need to adjust your dosing, we will do that at your follow-up. Botox injections look best when your injector takes the time to find your unique dosing and learns how your muscles work. Everyone is different.
How Long Do Results Last?
Results from Botox are not permanent. By 90-120 days, most patients are ready for another treatment. Many studies have been published over the last five years stating that Botox dosing directly correlates to duration. If your Botox isn’t lasting 90 days, your body needs more units.
If you are getting Botox for facial slimming, TMJ, jaw clenching, or excessive sweating, typically those treatments last longer, usually 6 months.
Will It Hurt?
Botox is relatively painless! It is several pokes using a very small insulin needle! The whole treatment takes less than 5 minutes total to do and numbing is not necessary.
Will I Look Weird?
No! We always say that Botox isn't supposed to make you look like a different person. It is intended to make you look refreshed, smooth, and glowing. Always remember that good Botox is never cheap and cheap Botox is never good. Be sure to research your injector, look at their work, and ensure they have proper training on these treatments.
Do I Have to Keep Doing Botox Forever?Most patients love the way they look after Neurotoxin injections, but it is not necessary to continue if you wish to stop.
Can I Receive Filler or Other Skincare Treatments at the Same Time?
Yes! Skincare treatments, dermal fillers, and Botox can and often are administered during the same office visit. Botox is always your last stop and comes at the end of any other treatments you receive that day.
Check out these 10 Botox Myths
- Botox Will Freeze My Face. Nah. Botox will not wipe out all of your facial expressions, turning you into an emotionless person! If administered correctly, you can restore your youthful face while still being able to express your emotions. The whole idea is to make you look and feel more rested and refreshed.
- I Only Need to Get Botox Once. Unfortunately, no. Botox works by blocking a chemical signal that causes your muscles to contract. When your muscles can’t contract as strongly, wrinkles look smoother. After injections, it will take about a week to start seeing visible changes. The smoothness lasts 3-4 months for most people and then tapers off.
- Botox is Only for Older Women. I think not. Botox is a powerful tool to prevent wrinkles and contour the face (brow lift or gummy smile improvement, anyone?). 35% of women who get Botox in our practice are under 40 years old! A little sprinkle of Botox a few times a year keeps the wrinkles from becoming set and helps the skin look flawless. The easiest wrinkle to treat is the one you never get.
- A Face Cream Works Just as Well. No way, Jose. These much-hyped wrinkle creams only act on the skin’s surface. Great skin creams rehydrate the skin which can make wrinkles on the top layer look softer (think of how dunking a raisin in water will make it more plump). However, creams and serums are not a substitute for Botox because the mode of action is completely different. Creams act on the superficial skin layers while Botox acts deep inside at the muscle level.
- Botox is Poisonous. No Siree. Botox has been used since the 1950s for a variety of health conditions. It is obtained from botulinum, a toxin. But before using it, Botox undergoes a lot of refining processes. The lethal dose of Botox is 2,500 units at once. We rarely use more than 100 units at a time. Botox has been FDA-approved as an anti-aging treatment since 2002.
- Botox Hurts. Huh-uh. You may experience mild discomfort and a quick pinch from the super teeny needle. Injection sites are red and raised which lasts about 20 minutes (looks like a bug bite). Botox treatments result in zero downtime for patients. Lots of people get Botox over their lunch break and go right back to work; no one will know. Botox gives you phenomenal results and minimal discomfort.
- Botox and Fillers are the Same. Not for all the tea in China. When you think of Botox, think of “wrinkle softener.” Dermal fillers (i.e. Juvederm, Restylane, etc) are made of hyaluronic acid and are a much better option to lift, plump, and smooth areas of volume loss on the face. Botox and fillers are both used to enhance facial features but they do so in entirely different ways. They complement each other beautifully.
- Botox is Just for the Forehead. Heavens, no! Botox can be used for so many areas! It can soften crow’s feet, open up the eyes, tighten eyelids, lift the brows, and relax frown lines between the brows. Botox can also be used to slim the jawline, help eliminate a gummy smile, evert the upper lip to make it appear larger (lip flip), and so much more.
- Botox is Very Expensive. Not the case. The average patient in my practice gets Botox 3-4 times a year. Our practice offers reward programs that can help save you money at each visit. The confidence you feel when you look your best is worth every penny! We also offer financing options with Care Credit and Cherry.
- Once I Start Botox, I Can't Stop. That’s a no. A fallacy that has been out there for some time is that once you get Botox, you have to keep it up forever. The truth is you can stop whenever you want and your wrinkles will go back to where they were before you ever had Botox. Most patients return for repeat treatments because they love the results and feel more confident having Botox.
Ready to Rediscover Youthful Radiance?
Visit Colorado Beauty RN for expert Botox treatments. Smooth wrinkles, boost confidence, and embrace a refreshed you! Contact us at 720-504-4236.